The City of Naperville seeks a talented & motivated individual to become a key member of our collaborative and forward-thinking municipal development team, serving in the vital role of Code Official. The Code Official will conduct comprehensive plan reviews for primarily commercial projects but may also review single family and multi-family buildings & structures. The Code Official also monitors the status of plan review processes, assures that submitted plans are compliant with Naperville’s adopted building codes & ordinances, and provides code requirement information to the general public, to contractors and to licensed architects and engineers.
This part-time role would be up to 20 hours per week, with a flexible Monday through Friday schedule.
- Reviews plans and specifications to ensure compliance with municipal codes and ordinances.
- Periodically conducts field inspections of buildings and structures throughout construction; attends construction meetings with developers, engineers, architects and contractors (as well as other professional and public meetings) to resolve permit issues, check permit applications and engineering & architectural plans for completion, and to approve building plans for construction; reviews submitted mechanical, electrical, HVAC and plumbing plans and ascertains whether they conform to applicable code requirements; and advises/suggests to applicants various means of changing plans for compliance.
- Provide assistance to the City as well as other municipal boards and commissions; respond to inquiries & complaints from the public; answer questions regarding code enforcement, the process of obtaining permits, the cost of permits, zoning requirements, etc.; prepare reports, and various forms of correspondence; maintain hand-outs, drawings and outlines explaining construction regulations; and recommend and draft building and related code changes for all construction types found in the City of Naperville.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or similar related discipline.
- Three years progressively responsible experience in preparing and/or reviewing construction plans and building specifications.
- ICC certifications of Building Plans Examiner & Mechanical Plans Examiner.
- A valid State of Illinois Class D drivers’ license.
- knowledge of advanced construction techniques, procedures and methods related to plan review, and current building codes & building materials.
- Knowledge of IBC, IRC, National Electric and Illinois State Plumbing Codes and referenced standards, the Illinois Accessibility code, and generally accepted standard engineering practices regarding design & construction of buildings.
- Ability to interpret, understand and apply adopted building construction codes & ordinances, land use regulations and zoning requirements.
- Ability to read and understand detailed building construction documents; to confirm acceptable building construction types; to interpret and check a variety of complex engineering plans, code specifications, mathematical computations; to make field inspections and quickly resolve in-field building issues; and to create and present educational training to field inspectors and office staff.
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 148,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It’s also a great place to work! Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
Applications should be completed thoroughly, and resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application but should be attached to the application. Include all requested education, experience, attachments, and other information when applying. Incomplete applications are subject to rejection. Notifications to applicants will be sent electronically to the email address provided in the application.
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE (Download PDF reader) for the City of Naperville’s EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.