The City of Naperville’s Transportation, Engineering and Development Business Group (TED) seeks an Operations Manager – Residential Plan Review and Permitting to provide leadership and supervision to the Permit Counter, Residential Plan Review, and Code Enforcement teams within the Building Department. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Transportation, Engineering and Development and directly supervises five staff members (two supervisors), and indirectly supervises the Customer Service and Code Enforcement teams.
- Providing oversight and training to the Permit Counter, ensuring the timely intake, confirmation of complete submittals, internal routing, and efficient processing of all building permits.
- Overseeing the timely review and issuance of all residential building permits, including demolition/infill, new construction, residential room additions and alterations, and small residential permits.
- Overseeing the residential occupancy permit process, including issuance of temporary occupancy permits, as needed, and the timely completion of final occupancy permits.
- Providing support for and implementation of Building Team technology improvements, including electronic plan review and processing systems.
- Updating building permit applications, forms, and codes, as necessary, to reflect current requirements.
- Securing and managing 3rd party reviewers, as necessary to provide plan review coverage for all residential permit types.
- Providing oversight to the Code Enforcement Team to ensure the timely response to complaints received in regards to code violations.
- Working closely with the Operations Manager – Commercial Plan Review and Permitting to ensure a seamless overall building permit, inspection, and enforcement operation.
- Providing innovative leadership and supervision to departmental employees, including other supervisors.
- Working collaboratively with all teams within the Building Department and the Transportation, Engineering and Development Business Group to achieve common goals and provide transparent customer service.
- Providing excellent customer-focused, results-oriented services. Resolve problems and issues arising from department processes and respond to public concerns and inquiries.
- Evaluating employee performance and resolving personnel matters. Ensuring employees are properly trained and all required certificates have been obtained.
- Periodically attending field meetings and conducting field inspections and observations to support teams’ functions.
- Preparing detailed management and operational reports on teams’ activities.
- a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Engineering, Planning, Geography or a closely related field.
- at least 3 years’ progressive experience in municipal government, transportation, development, roadway or building construction, GIS or a related field.
- a valid State of Illinois Class D drivers’ license.
- proven experience with personnel management, budgeting and project management.
- Strong skills in effective oral and written communication.
- Ability to discuss technical issues and explain process and procedures and to analyze and evaluate complex issues and make appropriate decisions regarding their resolution.
- Willingness and ability to obtain ICC certifications.
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 148,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It’s also a great place to work! Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
Applications should be completed thoroughly, and resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application but should be attached to the application. Include all requested education, experience, attachments, and other information when applying. Incomplete applications are subject to rejection. Notifications to applicants will be sent electronically to the email address provided in the application.
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE (Download PDF reader) for the City of Naperville’s EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.