It's a great time to work in Pflugerville!
The City of Pflugerville is seeking its next Assistant Director - Construction to join our team! The person we seek will believe in and exhibit the City's P.F.I.R.S.T. core values: Positive, Forward-thinking, Integrity, Resilience, Service, and Teamwork.
City of Pflugerville employees enjoy three (3) weeks of paid vacation along with 14 paid holidays a year and an attractive retirement plan where the City puts in 2 dollars for every 1 dollar you put into retirement!
As an Assistant Director - Construction for the City, you will support the physical construction and implementation of Capital Improvement (CIP). The City's CIP projects are managed via professional service agreements for construction management and inspection, construction materials testing, and construction contracts.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- The Assistant Director-CIP Construction - performs a wide range of technical, analytical, and supervisory duties while ensuring the execution of the City's Capital Improvement Program. This position assists the CIP Engineering Director in developing the department's strategic plan and is responsible for developing and implementing long and short-range objectives.
- The Assistant Director develops, establishes, and updates policies and operating procedures for their division to ensure work is being accomplished efficiently and effectively with the goal of improving service delivery. The supervisory responsibilities include managing staff work, performance appraisals, recruiting, retaining, coaching, training, and mentoring division employees.
- The Assistant Director develops and monitors the operating budget expenditures of the division, provides internal budget controls, and assists the Director in determining budget priorities and developing an appropriate budgetary course of action. This includes the budget for protective equipment, training of staff, and professional services required.
- The Assistant Director has frequent internal and external customer interactions and is responsible for providing timely and complete responses to work requests from residents, Council Members, and management and keeps all interested parties informed of the status and completion of each request. The position ensures that reports required by regulators are filed in a timely and complete manner in order to maintain compliance with all applicable regulations.
- The Assistant Director - CIP Construction also interfaces with other Assistant Directors and works in a collaborative way to develop, establish and implement the department's strategic objectives.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
Formal Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or institution in Construction Management, Construction Science, Engineering, Architecture, or a related field.
Relatable Work Experience: Seven years of experience in a professional-level related role with three of those years in progressive management with strong supervisory skills and responsibilities. Knowledge of modern principles and practices of civil engineering and construction. Demonstrated skill in critical thinking, comprehension, legal terminology, and language. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Licenses and Certifications: Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record (must obtain TX driver's license within 90 days).
Preferred Qualifications: Professional Engineer or Project Management Professional certification.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience to meet the job's minimum requirements. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- 10 hours of vacation leave per month, 3 weeks per year.
- 8 hours of sick leave per month, 12 days per year.
- Sick leave incentive pay- Employees are compensated in December each year for 25% of their unused sick leave accumulated during the preceding fiscal year.
- Medical insurance and benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 50% dependent health benefits premium contribution.
- Dental benefits are provided at zero premium cost to the employee.
- 24 hours of paid personal holiday leave each fiscal year.
- 10 wellness hours each fiscal year for eligible preventive and mental health services.
- Longevity pay of $8 per month begins with the first anniversary and will be paid on a separate paycheck in December of each year.
- Retirement plan includes a 7% contribution of an employee's gross salary to the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) with a City contribution match of 2 to 1 (14%) at retirement.
- Retirement eligibility requires 5 years of service at age 60 or 20 years of service at any age.
- Employees also have an additional retirement fund option to participate in a 457 plan.
- Long-Term Disability is employer-paid and covers 60% of the employee's salary up to $7,500.
- Military leave provides up to 15 days of paid leave per fiscal year for eligible employees.
- Education reimbursement assistance up to $5,000 per fiscal year.
- Employer-paid basic term life insurance policy two (2) times an employee's base salary, up to $325,000 maximum.
- 40 paid service hours are available to volunteer within our community.
- Up to 160 hours of paid parental leave to eligible employees following the birth of an employee's child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption, foster care, or other legal placement to care for and bond with the child.
For more details about the benefits offered by the City please visit https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/city-government/people-and-culture/benefits.
If you are interested in making a difference in the community and wish to join the Pflugerville team, go to pflugervilletx.gov under Employment Opportunities and apply today!