Code Enforcement Officer
Job Number: 2023-28
Closes: Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 11:59pm
Classification: Code Enforcement Specialist
Community Development Division
Non-exempt, Full Benefits
$22.45- $31.43/ hour, approx. $46,703- $65,384 annual (Grade B22)
$24.77- $34.67/ hour, approx. $51,517- $72,123 annual (Grade B23)
Pay dependent on qualifications and in accordance with Oregon's Pay Equity Act.
*Benefit enrolled employees and dependents have access to a FREE, on-site health and wellness center.
**Position includes generous medical package to include $1,200 health reimbursement account, sick leave, vacation, holidays, gym membership, and participation in Oregon Public Employee’s Retirement (PERS).
The City of Springfield has an opening in our Development & Public Works Department in the Current Development Division for a Code Enforcement Officer. This position performs the day-to-day operations for code enforcement tasks relating to the building, development, and nuisance codes such as interpreting, applying, and enforcing State and local laws, codes, and ordinances. The Code Enforcement Officer conducts activities in support of proactive enforcement and community engagement including educating the public about codes and ordinances and promoting voluntary compliance.
Education / Experience:
The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. Such a way to meet minimum qualifications could include:
• Associate degree or two-year technical certificate in code enforcement, law enforcement, building, planning or a related field, and;
• 0-2 years of experience performing routine tasks associate with code compliance, such as researching codes, drafting code violation communications, and issuing civil penalties (Grade B22: Code Enforcement Officer I)
• 3-5 years of experience performing Code Enforcement Officer I duties and more complex assignments, such as assisting with abatement procedures, prosecution of civil citations, and proactive program projects (Grade B23: Code Enforcement Officer II)
Licensing and Certifications:
• Valid Oregon Driver’s license by time of appointment
• Code Enforcement Officer II requires Code Enforcement Officer certification through AACE within 12 months of hire
Preferences may be given for knowledge and experience:
• Spanish language fluency
• Position may be light or medium work depending on assignment.
• Travel as required to sites to make inspections.
• Part of the work is inspecting field sites which require the ability to walk over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces, jumping over trenches and other obstacles and working in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
*Please see the job description for full Physical Requirements: Code-Enforcement-Officer-I-II.pdf (springfield-or.gov)
Selection and Interview Process:
Top candidates will be invited to interview.
As a part of our selection process, it will be necessary for candidates to provide the names and email addresses of up to five professional references (including two managers) that can provide information on work performance. To avoid any delay in the process, we ask candidates to start gathering reference information now (name, email address, contact info and time period you worked together). Additional information regarding reference checking will be emailed to candidates at a later date through the SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360 system.
The selection process will include: reference checks and criminal background check.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
Please do not indicate ‘See Resume’ in the ‘Work Experience’ part of the application. The information you provide in the application ‘Work Experience’ and ‘Job Duties’ will be used to determine if you will proceed to the next phase in the selection process. Information related to education and experience must be verifiable on your application to be given credit.
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Springfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at https://www.springfield-or.gov/city/human-resources/careers/ to learn more about this job posting and how to apply.