Human Resources Manager – Village of Cottage Grove, Wisconsin (est. pop. 9,740). Strategically located just 15 minutes east of downtown Madison and one hour west of Milwaukee, Cottage Grove combines the convenience and amenities of the greater Madison area with the independence and friendliness of a small town. Cottage Grove has a mix of residential, industrial, retail, and recreational uses. Rapid growth and development, combined with an enviable lifestyle amid beautiful settings and outdoor recreation options, make Cottage Grove an exciting professional and personal choice.
The Village’s population has more than doubled in the last 20 years, and additional growth is projected. Village staff (42 full time employees) serving this full-service municipality has doubled in the last 12 years; additional staff growth by another 50% is anticipated by the end of the decade.
The Village Administrator is adding to his leadership team a Human Resources Manager. Experience in broad generalist HR responsibilities, and comfort in setting up a first-time HR office, is preferred. Significant responsibilities include updating the Village’s HR policies and practices, handling payroll and benefits administration, managing recruitment efforts, working with department heads in coaching and guiding their team-management practices (such as the annual performance evaluation process), and implementing a robust human resources program for Village employees.
The successful candidate will:
● Be an energetic and ethical professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills;
● Have a record of problem solving, decisiveness and approachability;
● Adeptness at working with a variety of stakeholders; and
● Have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
Candidates should also have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, as outlined below:
● A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in HR, business or public administration, or closely related field;
● SHRM, IPMA-HR and/or PHR credentials are a plus; and
● At least five years of experience in a related field, with some government HR experience preferred.
The starting salary range is $87,000 - $90,000 +/- DOQ. The Village offers a competitive benefit package.
Candidates should apply by June 14, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA. Tel: 847-380-3197. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.