How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 250+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $32,460 - $56,806 + $1,000 Signing Bonus!
We are looking for a skilled mechanic to join our Wilson County Equipment team.
In this role, you will:
- Perform semi-skilled and skilled small engine, automotive, heavy equipment and/or marine mechanic work.
- Service, inspect, repair, rebuild, and diagnosis mechanical systems for gasoline, diesel, and alternative-powered engines/equipment.
- Perform inspections and servicing to highly complex mechanical systems, conducting analysis using advanced diagnostic instruments and software.
- Conduct parts/systems failure analysis.
- Calibrate, adjust, and operate engine analyzers.
- Work safely, leading by example, and follow NCDOT standard operational guidelines and shop safety procedures.
- Read/use vendor manuals, manufacturer publications, and bulletins.
- Apply your technical knowledge and skills, occasionally modifying standard practice and procedures due to unusual situations.
- Routinely determine materials, techniques, and tools to accomplish work assignments. Work assignments vary in complexity depending on the type of mechanical system and ancillary components/equipment. Assignments are normally received in the form of written or verbal work orders, usually indicating the general nature of the task or describing the problem(s). New or unusual assignments may be accompanied by more detailed instructions.
- Work under general supervision that may be reviewed and inspected in progress or upon completion.
What You Bring
- Valid CDL Class "A" with "N" endorsement. (Note: If you don't have this, still apply. You can get it through our on-the-job training program within 360 days of hire!)
- Experience in tire repair and replacement.
- Experience performing preventive maintenance on 1+ of the following: light, medium, heavy-duty trucks, or heavy equipment.
- Skills using 2+ of the tools/equipment used in our equipment shop such as wrenches, sockets, battery charger, hydraulic jacks, loader, forklift, automotive/truck lift, fuel service truck, tire changer, tire balancer, welder, cutting torch, diagnostic equipment, computer, tire jack, tire balance machine, pneumatic wrench, diagnostic gauges, electronic tester, air impact wrench, air compressor, air gun, torque wrench.
- Ability to follow instructions to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to operate a lube service truck and service on/off road equipment.
- Management prefers candidates with experience operating tractor trailers with Lowboys.
- We will conduct a pre-employment drug test and a background check for your previous employers over the past 2 years about controlled substances/alcohol testing.
- We may require EPA certification as a Type I, II, III, or Universal technician.
Education & Experience
- High School/GED diploma, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Melissa Newcomb at 252-640-6405.