How to Apply
This posting is for 3+ openings, and your application will be considered for all of them!
NEW HIGHER PAY: $31,200 - $52,813
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Looking for a great place to work with
- A living wage
- Job security
- Full benefits (including the State Health Plan and a pension!)
- A true team atmosphere, and
- Work you can take pride in
This is an entry-level opening for you to begin a career with the NC Department of Transportation as a Transportation Worker I. You'll get to work on exciting projects, learn construction skills, and build your career. Join us!
We are looking for entry-level transportation workers to join our Highway Maintenance team in Randolph county.
In this role you will learn to:
- Operate standard hand and power tools, vehicles, and heavy equipment in the preventive maintenance, repair, and construction of roads and roadside features for the State’s highway and roadway systems.
- Conduct inspections, ensure work zone safety, and participate in snow & ice removal.
- Assist with maintenance/repair projects using tools and equipment including tractors with attachments, curb machines, cutoff saws, small wheel and sheep foot rollers, vibrator roller compactors, pulverizer mixers, and pneumatic tire rollers.
- Drive dump and flatbed trucks.
- Assist paint crews.
- Install road signs.
- Assist Electronics Technicians installing and maintaining signals.
- Perform vegetation control, debris removal, and snow removal.
What You Bring
- An interest in a career in Transportation Construction, and commitment to a safe work environment.
- Experience performing manual labor, and operating power tools such as a chainsaws, weed eaters, skill saws, drills, compactors, jackhammers, etc.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- A Commercial Driver’s License. (Note: You can get this after you are hired through our free on-the-job training, but it must be within 360 days of hire.)
- A pre-employment drug test is required.
- We will check with previous employers for the past 2 years about controlled substances and alcohol testing.
- Safety toe footwear is required.
Education & Experience
- High school/GED diploma; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Wanda Willett at 336-318-4000.