The City of West Palm Beach, Florida, is seeking an Assistant Chief Financial Officer to join a progressive, innovative team of local government professionals. West Palm Beach is a major metropolitan center in south Florida and offers access to a full range of recreational and cultural experiences including, world class beaches, boating and water sports, professional sports and sport facilities, prominent museums and performing arts centers.
West Palm Beach city government provides a full range of municipal services under a strong mayor / city administrator form of government. The City serves over 117,000 residents and a business community with important financial services, aerospace, and defense industries. Since 2022 the City has been in a growth environment with both new growth and an unprecedented increase in assessed value. The approved City budget for FY 23-24 is $659 million total, including $225 million in the general fund. The budget reflects a balance of organizational needs and community needs with responsible investments in staff, infrastructure, programs, and services.
The Assistant CFO is a member of the leadership team for management of City finances. With divisions for Treasury Management, Budget, Accounting, and Special Revenue, finance administration is responsible for accounting and administrative controls, budgetary controls, cash management, financial policies, and long-term financial planning. As directed by the CFO, the Assistant CFO will provide oversight, coordination, and direction for 3 division managers and operations. The Assistant CFO serves as a hub for communications, keeping senior leadership informed, providing information to external partners, sharing and securing information through staff and public engagement.
In addition to internal oversight, the Assistant CFO will be responsible for coordination of financial administration with legal and operational units, external consultants, auditors, and agencies. The Assistant CFO is a hands-on manager, providing direction but not micromanagement of routine operations. As the City’s representative in various forums, the Assistant CFO must meet high standards for professional presentation and conduct. During emergency activations, the Assistant CFO is an essential worker and will coordinate financial support for response activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Able to lead, motivate and train team managers.
• Able to lead with emotional intelligence and understanding of a political environment.
• Able to analyze situations and conditions to determine strategies, resource needs, constraints, and options.
• Able to develop and present reports, audits, budget, strategic plans, to a wide variety of audiences.
• Able to effectively represent the City in a wide range of forums and situations.
• Able to handle conflict and address personnel issues.
• Able to take necessary action based on analysis and sound judgment.
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Knowledge of management and administration policies and procedures, internal controls, methods, and practices.
• Knowledge of municipal, federal, and state laws, statutes, rules, regulations, and ordinances related to financial budgeting, auditing and procurement methods, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge of treasury management systems and processes.
• Knowledge of accounting, budgeting, auditing and procurement methods, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge of computer hardware, software and peripherals related to accounting and financial management.
• Knowledge of customer service and public relations methods, policies, and practices.
• Skilled in utilizing computer data and additional information in the assessment and analysis of financial reports and legal documents.
• Skilled in written and verbal communications.
• Skilled in delegating, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating work.
• Skilled in prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. There is occasional need to stand, stoop, walk, sit, lift light objects (up to 25 lbs.), and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday. Remote work is allowed up to 2 days per week after probationary classification is removed (6 months).
Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, or related field.
Six years of treasury, accounting, government management, auditing or finance experience including three years of state or local government financial administration.
Three years of high level supervisory and management experience in government.
Salary $141,000 - $148,000 annually
Competitive benefit package
Interested candidates should apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com with a cover letter, resume and contact information for five professional references by October 13, 2023. Questions may be directed to James Dinneen at 847-380-3240 x136.
The City of West Palm Beach is an equal opportunity employer that follows all applicable State of Florida Sunshine laws.