The Sustainability Specialist is responsible for providing support to the Sustainability Coordinator for the implementation of the Naperville Sustainability Workplan. This position will be responsible for research, data collection, metric development and monitoring, policy review, and assisting with staff and community partner education and engagement initiatives that promote local environmental, energy, economic, and social sustainability.
- Supports the Sustainability Coordinator on the implementation of, and updates to, the 2021 Naperville Sustainability Workplan.
- Reports sustainability goals and progress to the community through the City of Naperville semi-annual Sustainability Report.
- Monitors and drafts updates for the City’s Environmental Sustainability webpages and drafts sustainability-related content for the monthly employee and community newsletters.
- Calculates, tracks, and manages metrics to support the 2021 Naperville Sustainability Workplan initiatives and posts on the Open Data Page on the City’s website as appropriate.
- Leads the City’s voluntary annual reporting to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Active member of the Cross-departmental Sustainability Team, Special Events Team, and Design Review Team.
- Develops and gives presentations to staff and community partners.
- Clearly communicates verbally and in writing and makes technical information easy to understand.
- Tracks funding opportunities as appropriate to further sustainability efforts and leads development of grant applications and related reporting.
Required Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Planning, Environmental Science, Sustainable Business, Public Administration/Policy or related field.
- Minimum of 1 years of professional experience in the sustainability field and managing a sustainability program.
Preferred Credentials and Experience:
Experience reporting sustainability metrics and utilizing voluntary reporting tools (e.g., Carbon Disclosure Project, ICLEI, EPA Portfolio Manager, EPA Greenhouse Gas Inventory tool, U.S. Green Building Council/LEED, Energy Star, etc.).
Qualified candidate will have or be willing to pursue sustainability-related professional accreditation(s), including LEED AP/GA, Sustainability Excellence Associate, Certified Climate Change Professional, TRUE Zero Waste Advisor, etc.
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 149,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It’s also a great place to work! Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
Applications should be completed thoroughly, and resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application but should be attached to the application. Include all requested education, experience, attachments, and other information when applying. Incomplete applications are subject to rejection. Notifications to applicants will be sent electronically to the email address provided in the application.
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE (Download PDF reader) for the City of Naperville’s EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.