Mechanic - Fire

$21.26 - $26.57 hourly
  • City of Baytown
  • 3200 North Main Street, Baytown, TX, USA
  • Nov 01, 2023
Full time Fire & EMS

Job Description

Mechanic - Fire Department description image
We are looking for an experienced Mechanic to join our team! You must possess a strong mechanical aptitude, excellent problem-solving skills, and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. If you are interested in joining our team, please apply today!

Our mechanics are responsible for diagnosing and repairing the Fire department vehicles and equipment so our Firefighter/Paramedics can respond to our citizens' needs in a moment's notice.  

In addition to the City's outstanding benefits package our garage offers:

  • 4/10 work schedule following successful completion of training period
  • Steady schedule and the potential to earn overtime
  • Work that supports our First Responders and gives back to the community
  • And did I mention, you are working with Fire trucks

Full Benefits Package including:

  • City and employee contributions to the Texas Municipal Retirement System (5 year vesting; 2-1 match {City contributes 14%, employee contributes 7% for a total of 21%}; retirement eligibility at age 60 with 5 years service or 20 years any age; death benefit of approximately your annual salary)   *Are you a Veteran? You may earn additional service years for your military service time through TMRS!
  • Medical, dental, pharmacy and vision benefit coverage (voluntary participation)
  • Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
  • Employee Health and Wellness Center – free to employees and dependents over the age of 2 who are on the medical plan
  • Leave per year – 10 holidays plus one employee holiday; accrual of 15 days sick leave (960 hours max); accrual of 10 days vacation (limited at two times annual amount)
  • Voluntary participation in Mission Square retirement
  • Voluntary Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability Program
  • Paid Long-Term Disability for employee
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – 8 free visits per year, per item for each family member


  • Diagnoses reported problems with vehicles, and equipment to determine best methods for repair.
  • Repairs heavy gasoline and diesel equipment such as ladder trucks, pumping engines, military vehicles, and large generators.
  • Repairs light and medium duty equipment such as ambulances, support vehicles, staff cars and trucks.
  • Repairs electrical systems including vehicle wiring, hand tools, radios and emergency warning equipment.
  • Repairs fire pumps and associated equipment including valves, fittings, gauges and drives.
  • Repairs hydraulic systems including pumps, hoses, fittings, valves and regulators.
  • Repairs small engines and portable equipment such as generators, fans and power units.
  • Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
  • Subject to after-hours call out for repairs.
  • Performs all other related duties as assigned.

Minimum Qualifications


  1. High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
  2. Two years of mechanical experience with diesel engines.
  3. One-year troubleshooting/repair of electrical circuits.
  4. Valid Texas Driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
  5. Must obtain Texas Class “B” driver's license within 6 months of hire into this position.

  1. Previous employment as a mechanic for a fire department or municipality.
  2. Experience with repair of pumps and/or hydraulic systems.
  3. Experience with radios or electronic equipment.
  4. Emergency Vehicle Technician Certification.

Additional Information

Knowledge of diesel, gasoline, or natural gas fired engines, electrical and electronic circuits, radio equipment installation and operation, centrifugal and hydraulic pumps, generators, small engines, and electric and gasoline power tools.  Ability to operate welding and cutting equipment.  Knowledge of basic computer operation.  Ability to get along appropriately with co-workers and the public.

Attendance is an essential function of this position.  The City reserves the right to require an employee in this position to work overtime. This position provides services or performs duties for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations.  These may include services or duties different from those performed in the usual course and scope of your job.  In the event of an evacuation, the incumbent in this position may be required to remain to perform needed services.

OVERALL POSITION STRENGTH DEMANDS                                   

Very Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.