How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 260+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $36,682 - $64,194
We are looking for a skilled mechanic to join our Greenville Equipment team.
In this role, you will:
- Service, repair, rebuild, and diagnose mechanical systems for gas/diesel-powered automotive, heavy equipment, and power tools.
- Operate a motor vehicle & fuel truck.
- Operate a fuel truck.
- Perform skilled mechanical work including the following systems:
- Preventive maintenance
- Tires and tubes
- Rims and hubs
- Transmissions (auto and manual)
- Charging systems
- Cranking systems
- Ignition systems
- Lighting systems
- Cooling systems
- Exhaust systems
- Fuel systems
- Power units
- Air conditioning
- Instruments and gauges
- Air intake systems
What You Bring
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License with Tanker (N) endorsement. (If you don’t have this, still apply. You can get it within 360 days of hire through our on-the-job training program).
- Skills to repair and maintain automotive/heavy equipment and diagnose problems using diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to prepare paperwork for equipment repairs.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Strength to move parts and materials necessary to repair and maintain equipment.
- Able to safely operate equipment for testing purposes and to work indoors and outdoors.
- Commitment to a safe working environment by leading by example.
- Skills to read and interpret Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) manuals.
- Able to read schematics, diagrams, and sketches.
- Experience performing preventive maintenance on light, medium, heavy duty trucks, or heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of basic welding principles and application.
- Experience diagnosing basic electrical systems and proper wiring repair.
- Experience repairing basic hydraulic system including hose and component replacement.
- Computer skills to gain diagnostic and repair information.
- Safety toe shoes.
- Ability to work in emergency situations and inclement weather.
- We will conduct a pre-employment drug screening and background check for your past 2 years about controlled substances and alcohol testing.
- We may require current certification by the EPA as a Type I, II, III, or Universal Technician.
Education & Experience
- High School/GED diploma, and
- 2+ years of relevant experience, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.