At Regional Transportation District (RTD), We make lives better through connections!
When you join RTD, you will be among dedicated employees exhibiting RTD's values of passion, respect, diversity, trustworthiness, collaboration, and ownership. RTD is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. As part of our diversity value statement, we encourage our employees to honor diversity in thought, people, and experience. Come join RTD on this great journey to be the trusted leader in mobility, delivering excellence and value to our customers and community.
RTD Employee Benefits: https://www.rtd-denver.com/careers/benefits
(RTD Represented Employee Benefits: Please refer to the Labor Agreement included in the above link for details.)
The role of Signal Maintainer is an important link between ensuring compliance to FRA regulations and customer satisfaction while achieving the safest most efficient railroad operations. This position is responsible for the inspection, maintenance, repair, installation and alteration of the signal system; which includes CTC, ATC and PTC systems. Signal Maintainers are primarily responsible for performing FRA regulatory test and inspection of the signals systems. He / she will also install, repair and maintain various equipment such as signals lights, switch machines, electrical switch locks, switch circuit controllers as well as crossing warning devices. This is a safety sensitive position subject to the rules and regulations of the RTD FRA Drug and Alcohol policy.
This position is eligible for a $4,000 signing bonus starting immediately. The new-hire signing bonus pays out in four $1,000 installments upon these milestones:
• Successful completion of probation period
• Six-month anniversary of date of hire
• One-year anniversary of date of hire
• Eighteen-month anniversary of the hire date
If referred by an RTD employee, please include their name or email address on the Workday application when asked, "How did you hear about us" and by selecting "I know someone at the company." In turn, they could be awarded a $2,000 referral bonus.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of RTD, uses sound judgment at all times, works effectively in a diverse environment, works safely on the job, respects co-workers and assures the quality of services to all customers both internal and external and complies with RTD and Regulatory Rules, Regulations and Policies.
* Must attend and pass all required Commuter Rail Training including Roadway Worker Protection (RWP), Look Up and Live and other training as required.
* Must become and maintain certification as a RWP qualified Watchmen/Lookout and Roadway Worker in Charge, protect work groups and flag at-grade crossings as assigned.
* While using standard test equipment and tools, the Signal maintainer will troubleshoot, perform diagnostic analysis, repair and maintain the signals system, crossing gates, track switches and equipment and the train to wayside communication system. Work includes but not limited to digging, cable repair, housekeeping, assembly of signal equipment, wiring of signal equipment, pole line work, and report problems, failures or unsafe conditions.
* Performs required safety inspections and tests of signal system components and train control equipment in accordance with state and federal regulations.
* Performs preventive maintenance of signal system components and train control equipment in accordance with state and federal regulations. Further includes conducting inspections, testing, and verification of correct operations of Signals and Communications systems, equipment, and devices.
* Complies with all safety rules and instructions including the use of proper personal protective equipment and Roadway Worker Protection.
* Ensure there is enough material on hand to permit work or repairs to be completed without undue delay.
* Conducts regular inspections of work areas in order to ensure clean and safe working conditions
* Documents and reports work and inspections in accordance with railroad, state, and FRA requirements.
* Maintains up to date and accurate records of inspections, repairs, calibrations, and tests in company systems.
* Will operate all types of company vehicles and equipment in the performance of their duties.
* Will assist co-workers as directed and coordinate it with the work of others.
* Will serve as a flag or switch-person for the protection of the public, fellow employees, trains and equipment during emergencies and rerouting of trains.
* Responds to emergencies, accidents, snowstorm support, special event support and special assignments required from operations.
* Current work schedule is 4x10 hour shifts with rotating weekend and holidays on call.
* All job-related duties as assigned.
* Minimum of 3 years’ experience as an FRA qualified Signal Maintainer.
* Prior FRA-regulated railroad operating experience preferred with a work history that demonstrates the ability to maintain alertness, awareness and vigilance, as well as clear, effective verbal communication skills in the performance of work.
* Successful completion of a Signal Training Program provided by RTD or sponsored by a qualified organization and ability to re-certify on a periodic basis.
* Demonstrated ability to read and understand plans, blueprints, schematics, operation and service manuals, and other written instructions.
* Must be physically capable of performing all job functions. Must have knowledge of first aid and safety practices.
* Must pass a mechanical/electrical skills examination with a minimum score of 80%.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain a high-performance level of dependability, reliability and safety.
* Proficiency in MS Excel/Spreadsheets, MS Outlook, and MS Word/Word Processing.
* Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
* Must have or be able to obtain a Colorado Driver's License Commercial Driver's License, Class A, with an acceptable record.
* Must be able to obtain and maintain a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate thereafter. Medical Examiner must have a National Registry number.
* Valid Colorado Motor Vehicle Driver License.
* In accordance with FRA regulations, applicant driver’s license must provide a certified copy of motor vehicle driving record and must be void of any drug and alcohol violations within the previous 36 months.
* Possess a minimum set of required tools specified by RTD Commuter Rail
* An equivalent combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities as determined by the Signals and Systems Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to work under tight schedules and deadlines while maintaining system quality and reliability.
* Ability to obtain and retain a thorough understanding of all the Regional Transportation District Commuter Rail’s Roadway Worker Protection procedures which are in effect.
* Ability to pass a required Physical Ability Assessment (PAA) related to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job.
* Knowledge of and the ability to properly use personal protective equipment in rail maintenance as related to drilling, cutting, grinding and welding. Knowledge in the use of the tools related to these tasks, and ability to perform these tasks is desirable.
* Knowledge of general railway safety practices.
* Ability to pay close attention to detail, ensuring safety in work and rail operations.
* Knowledge of Railway signal circuit plans including AAR symbols, nomenclature, conventions and interpretation. Knowledge of the use of electrical test equipment.
* Ability to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination by obtaining a DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate valid for a minimum of one (1) year.
* Ability to use computers for diagnostics in troubleshooting electronic equipment, software uploading and downloading, downloading event logs, and other functions.
* Ability to read and understand safety labels and operating instructions.
* Ability to understand and comply with the operating rules, timetable, and roadway worker protection regulations of the District.
* Ability to follow directions with minimal supervision.
* Ability to use prudent judgment and problem solving skills to make reasonable and appropriate decisions and recommendations that ensures the safety of operations and assists the RTD in meeting its mission.
* Ability to perform basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and conversion of fractions into decimals and decimals into fractions to solve practical problems. In addition, applicants must be able to extract relevant information from tables, charts, graphs, and text.
* Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, both orally and in writing, using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
* Ability to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks, and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
* Ability to complete all necessary reports and work orders in a legible and timely manner.
* Ability to take initiative and be a contributing, professional member of a work team.
* Ability to efficiently manage time and workload, which includes planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following-through on a variety of tasks, assignments, projects, and reports.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule, which can include working various days, hours, and shifts.
* Ability to recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations
* Applicants must be able to work outdoor and at times in remote locations and adverse weather condition. Work experience with heavy equipment such as backhoe, trencher would be an asset.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is regularly required to walk on even and uneven rocky terrain (ballasted track) and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is regularly required to reach. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and ability to work in nighttime darkness with artificial illumination.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, moving trains; risk of high voltage electrical shock and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; regularly required to work in high, precarious places and regularly required to work in subterranean, confined places where high voltage electricity is present; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; all outside weather conditions; explosives and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high. Employee is regularly required to work where moving auto/truck vehicular is present.
$37.09 - $38.76 Hourly
RTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, please see our EEO policy [ https://www.rtd-denver.com/sites/default/files/files/2022-12/EEO%20Policy%20Statement-%20UPDATED.pdf ]
RTD posts a compensation range that represents a good faith estimate of what RTD anticipates paying for the position at the time of posting. Starting salary is based on the candidate’s relevant and verified education, training and work experience. Applicants should submit all relevant and verifiable education, training and work experiences at the time of application.