How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork
. We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 260+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $65,876 - $115,283
We are looking for a senior engineer to join our statewide engineering team.
In this engineering leadership role, you will:
- Provide field support for NCDOT Divisions in project closeouts.
- Assist staff with contract administration and (Highway Construction and Materials System) HiCAMS-related questions.
- Review contractor final claim requests for compensation and time extensions and draft final written responses regarding same for construction projects on behalf of the State Construction Engineer.
- Actively participates in HiCAMS system development and updates.
- Provide engineering support and research for the compilation of data from HiCAMS and SAP to develop reports.
- Review data for completeness and accuracy.
- Produce reports including claims, Construction Engineering and Inspection usage, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise usage, Business Unit Work Plan budget reports, Overrun reports, and other as requested by the Construction Unit, FHWA, Fiscal and senior management.
- Run standard reports monthly, quarterly, and annually.
- Provide engineering support for outsourcing of construction engineering and inspections (CEI).
- Update our Construction Manual with changes made to policies, specifications, and guidelines throughout the year.
- Prepare revisions and additional information to be incorporated in the manual.
- Represent the Construction Unit at conferences, workshops, and subcommittee meetings.
- Actively participate in accomplishing meeting goals and compile/distribute meeting minutes when needed.
- Develop, update, and present training materials for conferences and workshops.
- Develop and update training materials for construction contract administration guidance for conferences, webinars, or onsite training.
- Provide HiCAMS and Construction Team site technical support for system users.
- Provide guidance regarding business processes and procedures.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of construction principles, contract specifications, and provisions.
- Willingness to make decisions regarding final claims and a promote a sense of fairness in the application of all principles within restricted timeframes.
- Working knowledge of the operation of NCDOT Construction Unit and its functions including office management techniques, computer skills, verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal organizational, and analytical skills, ability to make independent decisions, and the ability to interpret, and analyze information.
- Knowledge of NCDOT policies and procedures related to the construction project administration staffing needs, and CEI outsourcing processes.
- Construction experience including general knowledge of present construction practices, techniques, and policies, including plans, proposals, and current specifications for the analysis of contractor’s claims for additional compensation and/or extension of contract time.
- Experience using HiCAMS.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of engineering concepts, practices, and theories used in the engineering project closeouts and the ability to use them in practice.
- Thorough knowledge of NCDOT organizational structure, business needs/objectives, budget, planning, legal/public relations considerations, and/or other related factors.
- Ability to make final approval for complex or a broad variety/scope of program/project specifications for completeness, compatibility, compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes, and design needs.
- Ability to research alternatives and designs or analyze special details for nonstandard items of work for programs/projects.
- Ability to determine program/project priorities, processes, and procedures.
- Skills to manage complex or broad variety/scope of programs/projects for completeness, compatibility, compliance with engineering principles and design needs and standards.
- Leadership to resolve/approve major project/program changes.
- Ability to independently make final recommendations and may require ability to make decisions that require specialized engineering and/or program knowledge.
- Expertise to serve as technical expert and represent NCDOT as an expert with regards to compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes, designs and statutes and address conflicting design constraints.
- Communication skills to modify delivery, language, or content to account for the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in documents clearly, concisely, and in an organized manner for reports addressing novel or complex engineering concepts and facts.
- We may require you to be registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, and
- 4+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Priscilla Davis at (919) 707-2470.