This position will start on or after January 2, 2024
The County Planner assists in all Planning Department matters including conducting research, maintaining the planning databases and addressing planning questions from a variety of both external and internal sources. The County Planner’s primary duties include providing administrative support and project reviews for the Planning Department. The position of County Planner is the entry-level position within the County Development Department.
The County Planner receives direction from the Planning Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as liaison between citizens, community groups, state and local government agencies, developers and elected officials in land use planning and development regulations, planning applications and associated fees.
- Assists in resolving external citizen and customer issues as well as internal issues relevant to the County.
- Prepares agendas and meeting minutes within statutory timelines. Circulates and disseminates public meeting announcements.
- Coordinates the Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings, prepares the agenda and meeting minutes.
- Reviews plans and specifications for subdivision and other developments for compliance with County Ordinance.
- Manages and implements outreach projects to County citizens, stakeholders, and industry professionals.
- Prepares month end/year end department productivity documents and financial reports
- Prepares financial deposits of fees as necessary
- Attends and manages a substantial number of evening meetings of the Planning Board or Board of Appeals
- Assists with the development of reports and presentations to various County Boards and Committees
- Review and implement County Special Development Regulations for administrative review proposals
- Coordinate and assist with County public outreach projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain planning and development regulations and procedures clearly to the public, surveyors, engineers, contractors and other developers
- Creative, problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
- Ability to create graphic designs, development strategies, and render site plans via sketches and/or computer graphics highly desirable.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, with other County offices or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning
- Knowledge of a relevant specialization as to land use regulations
- Knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection
- Knowledge of effective technical writing techniques
- Statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, and GIS
Education and Experience:
Education: Requires a Bachelor's degree in urban planning, architecture, public policy, or related area of study.
Experience: Candidates must have a minimum of (1) year of experience working in a planning office or other related field. A master's degree in a related field can substitute for the experience requirement.
Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the minimum requirements noted above.
Other Licenses / Certificates:
The County Planner must possess a valid Arkansas State Driver’s License.
It is highly desirable for the County Planner to possess a Notary Public for the State of Arkansas
The following list contains the essential functions required of the County Planner position:
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle in both day and night time conditions in a variety of weather.
- Must be willing and able to attend regularly held meetings outside normal office hours.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The County Planner will typically spend 90 percent of the time in the office with the other 10 percent at regularly scheduled meetings. The employee must be able to perform routine tasks normally associated with an office setting. The noise level is moderate and the lifting requirements are minimal.
For any questions regarding the role please contact Madison Kienzle at Madison.Kienzle@BentonCountyAR.gov