How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 270+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $42,464 - $74,313
We are looking for an experienced bridge inspector to join our Structures Management team.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct advanced-level in-depth safety inspections serving as the team leader of a 2-person bridge inspection team.
- Conduct inspections on all types of structures in Chatham and surrounding counties.
- Work outside at considerable heights with exposure to snakes, spiders, insects, and poisonous plants.
- Perform in-depth inspections on bridges, light standards, culverts, pipes, sign supports, and overhead walkways.
- Prepare reports detailing conditions found during the inspection process that are used in an evaluation process to determine the structural integrity and capability of structures to support loads imposed on them by the traveling public and/or natural forces.
- Train new inspectors.
- Schedule and plan the team’s activities in conformance with bridge priorities.
- Perform office duties including record keeping for payroll, progress reports, inventory control, and equipment maintenance.
- Provide contact with NCDOT staff, state agencies, researchers, etc. as needed.
What You Bring
- Completion of NBIS Two Week Bridge Inspection Course (FWHA-NHI-130055).
- Experience with topside bridge inspections including bridges, pipes, signs, and culverts.
- Experience with bridge inspection equipment, i.e., Hydra Platforms, Man Lifts, Snooper Trucks, and Boats.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Experience drafting, sketching and creating quality reports.
- Safety shoes.
Education & Experience
- Associate's degree in Civil Engineering Technology, and
- 4+ years experience in the inspection, construction, design, or maintenance of major steel or concrete bridges or other structures; or
- High school/GED diploma, and
- 5+ years experience in the inspection, construction, design or maintenance of major steel or concrete bridges or other structures; or
- An equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
- Your work will primarily be in Chatham county where the structures are located and surrounding counties with, upon special request, light travel to other NC counties.
- Field work requires you to work in situations that are hazardous, such as traffic congestion, sloped, climbing of high steel, working in confined areas, and working above water on scaffolds or a snooper crane at considerable heights.
Call me: Stephanie Hearn at 919-707-2510.