At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
The successful candidate may be offered a position in either the Systems Administrator I or Systems Administrator II classification, dependent upon the qualifications of the selected candidate. The salary range for the ystems Administrator I is $64,659 - $96,853 annually; for the ystems Administrator II position is: $74,746 – $112,120 annually.
Summary of Duties: Under general supervision, works with business partners within multiple business processes to align technology solutions with business strategies. Supports moderately to highly complex Technology Services processes. Serves as team member, sometimes as a technical escalation.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Establishes and maintains liaison relationship with business partners and TS to provide effective technical solutions; seeks opportunities to improve and deepen relationship between TS and business partners.
- Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for new technology.
- Develops user test cases and system integration testing and validates test results during testing; reviews test plans; executes test cases.
- Investigates, resolves, and escalates problems and develops recommendations for resolution; identifies need for technical assistance to help in problem resolution; may work with technical assistance to resolve problems.
- Keeps clients informed of problems, issues, and resolutions; ensures IT solutions meet client needs.
- Conducts End User Training; may Schedule and coordinates End User Training; writes well defined End User Documentation, including but not limited to solution user manuals.
- Reviews and establishes or may approve End User Training Curriculum and End User Documentation for completeness and correctness.
- Generate change requests; provides assistance in determining the need for a change request; implements changes.
- Coaches and transfers knowledge to less experienced team members.
- Conducts research on hardware and software products to provide recommendations and to support purchasing efforts; understands requirements.
- May author technical design for features and modules; may gather and verify technical requirements.
- Fields incoming issues and problem tickets and escalations from end-users to resolve systems issues.
- Records, tracks, and documents the problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Maintains and enhances performance of all new and existing server technology solutions across the organization.
- Tests fixes and performs post-resolution follow-ups to ensure problems have been adequately been resolved.
- Identifies and learns appropriate solutions used and supported by the organization.
- Creates and maintains system models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to team.
- May participate in the design, development, and delivery of server training programs and individual classes.
- May post software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked question resources on company intranet to assist in problem resolution.
- Performs preventive maintenance, including the installation of service packs, patches, hot fixes, anti-virus software, etc.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: The incumbent must decide work priorities and use independent judgment to determine the need for additional or removal for Systems related services and repair.
- Proven experience in the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols, and Internet standards.
- Extensive experience with core technologies, including VMware, SolarWinds, Splunk, Exchange, Office 365, Skype for Business
- Excellent software troubleshooting experience.
- Working knowledge of server and PC operating systems as well as Microsoft Active Directory.
- Competence with testing, flowchart, and data mapping tools and procedures.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- General project management skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Education: Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or related field.
Experience: Six (6) years of experience as a server administrator or related field. Bachelor Degree can be substituted for up to four (4) years of experience.
Any work-related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements
Licenses and Certifications: Must have a valid Class “C” Driver’s License (must obtain Texas Class “C” driver’s license within 30 days of hire per state law).
Within one year of employment, must obtain:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)- Server Administration (current supported Server Operating System) or equivalent certification
- VMWare Certified Associate (VCA) certification or equivalent certification
- CompTIA Security+ or equivalent certification
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, driver license check, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in work areas and moving between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.