Evanston, IL (population est. 78,000) is currently seeking to fill two Deputy City Manager roles. Nestled along the shores of Lake Michigan and bordering the northern edge of Chicago, Evanston is a diverse and dynamic community, blending urban vibrancy with suburban charm to create a truly unique living and working environment. Evanston is home to approximately 78,000 residents and renowned institutions such as Northwestern University and the award-winning Evanston Township High School. It is also the location of the corporate headquarters for Rotary International and the UL Research Institute. Known for its beautifully tree-lined neighborhoods, distinctive architecture, historic charm, lakefront beaches, and bustling commercial districts, Evanston’s beauty and character delight visitors and residents of all ages.
The City of Evanston governs a highly progressive community and takes pride in its innovative programs and initiatives, particularly its role as a national leader in discussions on racial equity, social justice, and environmental sustainability.
In a historic move in June 2019, the City resolved to end structural racism and achieve racial equity, dedicating up to $10 million in cannabis tax revenue to a local Reparations program for the Black community. Additionally, Evanston is committed to addressing climate change, having enacted the City’s Climate Action and Resilience Plan in 2018, which aims for carbon neutrality by 2050. Most recently, in 2022, the City piloted a Guaranteed Income program and a Participatory Budgeting program.
With a vision to create the most livable city in America, Evanston celebrates the diversity of its opportunities and residents.
Ideal Candidate will possess the following:
· Excellent interpersonal skills and will be approachable by employees at all levels and from all backgrounds; and will have the ability to develop effective working relationships with employees, managers, City officials, unions, community groups, and outside vendors.
· Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with diverse community partners, the public, staff, contractors, and elected officials while fostering positive relationships, addressing concerns, and advocating for solutions with clarity and diplomacy.
· Experience in a racially diverse city or comparable organization with a record of progress and engagement on racial equity and social justice issues.
· Knowledge of environmental issues, climate change, and sustainability principles and experience in the development, implementation, and monitoring of environmental sustainability policies and practices from an organizational and community perspective.
· Executive level oral and written communication and presentation skills to communicate the City Manager’s strategic direction, policy initiatives of the elected officials and with various community partners representing different interests and backgrounds.
· Experience in developing, implementing, and advocating for comprehensive legislative policies, ensuring organizational compliance, fostering community engagement, and strategically aligning various initiatives.
· Be committed to a leadership and management style that is inclusive, collaborative, and team-oriented, leading, and coaching staff in a calm, professional manner and ensuring that the values of inclusiveness and collaboration permeate the City of Evanston organizational culture.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Each Deputy City Manager is assigned specific departments and functions that they oversee. One Deputy City Manager is expected to oversee Public Works, Community Development, Economic Development, Transportation/Mobility, and Sustainability. The second Deputy City Manager is expected to oversee Parks and Recreation, Health and Human Services, Equity, Communications, Administrative Adjudication, Policy, and Administrative Services.
The City is embarking on many exciting initiatives throughout the community and within the organization and seeks new talent to help take our culture of innovation, leadership, and constant improvement into the future.
· Possession of a bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a similar area from an accredited college or university is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
· Must possess eight (8) or more years of progressive managerial experience in municipal government, including five (5) or more years of work experience in an executive manager capacity (including hiring, firing, budgeting, and operations/staff management responsibilities at the division level or higher).
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary range for the position is $225,000 +/- DOQ. The City offers excellent employee benefits, including membership in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, a well-funded statewide pension system, optional 457 deferred compensation plans, and an expansive menu of health and voluntary plans. The City offers generous PTO benefits and is committed to ongoing employee education and training. Residency is not required, however relocation assistance may be available.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Sarah Schillerstrom, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA. Tel: 847-380-3240 ext. 138. The first review of resumes will occur on March 15.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, The City will take steps to ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Human Resources Division at 847-448-8204(voice) or 847-866-5095(TTY).