The purpose of this classification is to provide exceptional customer service, collect and post utility payments, and to create and complete work orders for customers' utility services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following duties are representative of this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Collects and posts payments from utility customers, either by mail, drop-box, online, or in person; reconciles cash drawers daily to cash collections receipt report, counts monies, adds checks and credit card receipts; ensures checks are filled out and properly endorsed;; communicates with banks and customers about non-sufficient funds checks. Enters payments for other miscellaneous fees associated with the town including park rentals, planning, zoning, fire inspections, parking tickets, etc.
- Opens, matches, and stamps mail and drop-box payments; requests change orders as needed.
- Assists customers in establishing new accounts and/or transferring accounts including filling out applications, verifying and photocopying ID lease agreements or deeds, running credit report, setting up account, and adding deposit and connection fees to the account before creating the work order.
- Prepares work orders for customers getting utilities turned on and off; ensures a forwarding address is received for customers ending service; prepares work orders for leak checks or any other utility problem.
- Enters agreements and/or vouchers into the system when agreements are received; communicates with the Department of Social Services or the party that made agreement to ensure payment is received in sufficient time.
- Collects past due bills from customers; communicates with meter readers to have customer's service reinstated as needed.
- Assists customers with billing questions by phone, email and/or in person; advises customers with needed information such as account balances, usage history, transaction history, meter readings and dates, makes them aware of possible leaks, etc.; enters, changes, and/or updates customer's information in computer.
- Logs all interaction with customers in the utility billing system; attaches documentation (application, ACH forms, etc.) to the customer’s account in the utility billing system.
- Reviews transaction histories and prints credit references for customers; researches and prints consumption histories, credit reports, and receipts.
- Communicates with meter readers and utility crews via phone and radio regarding services and/or work orders.
- Files and maintains billing and collection records.
- Assists supervisor(s) with various projects.
- Performs other related duties are required.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a High School Diploma and/or GED and 6 months of related experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licensure, Certification, and Specialized Training:
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to operate small hand tools, and a variety of automated office machines.
- Must be able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to 20 pounds.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.
Starting salary is dependent on qualifications. A competitive benefits package is provided. THE TOWN OF HILLSBOROUGH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER